Our One Year Anniversay

Our One Year Anniversay

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Progress Hurts

Mike has made good progress throughout yesterday and today. He works daily with his Physical Therapist, Speech Therapist and Occupational Therapist.

His Physical Therapist has been working on strengthening his upper and lower body/muscles. He's been able to sit with the aid of the therapist and myself. He now has almost enough strength to move on his own in the bed (IE rolling over and pulling himself up). This also means his risk of falling is increased. He's trying at times to move as fast as his brain thinks he can but his body is a few weeks behind. He's VERY determined.

The Speech Therapist works with Mike on talking and has been able to get Mike to utter a few words now. He is able to talk only when the therapist deflates the balloon in Mike's throat, this is what holds the trachea tube in place and prevents anything from going down his windpipe. Today he was able to say my name and his nurses name. Boy was that nice to hear again. Mike's speech therapist says that helping him to speak works the same muscles in the mouth and throat that we use to swallow. If we can get him to talk than he'll be able to swallow. Since he was doing so well today, they did a swallow test and Mike was able to chew on a couple of ice cubes and swallow. Believe me no one will be more happy to see the feeding tube go than Mike. (He tries several times an hour to pull it out on his own, he's definitely keeping me on my toes.)

The Occupational therapist works with Mike on fine motor skills and eventually scheduling time and day to day tasks. You know with all he's gone through, picking up the remote for the TV is the funnest thing to watch him do, I never thought that would make me happy. It not only keeps his mind off pulling on his tubing but helps stimulate his brain and helps with his fine motor skills.

With all the positive improvements we make each day Mike knows our time together comes to an end when I start preparing him for bed. It's very hard to leave each night. It's the same feeling I get each morning when I have to leave the kids and go to the hospital. When ever I leave, either the house or the hospital, there is someone crying and more often than not, it's me. It's hard to be torn so much between my two loves, Mike and my children. Our journey is hopefully getting ready to smooth out. His doctors are wanting to send him to a rehabilitation center in Vallejo, CA. This could be as early as 2 weeks. Everyone keeps telling me it's one of the best in the U.S. It means longer drives but hopefully quicker progress. So while the kids are in San Diego I'll be able to be at the hospital around the clock. I want to spend all the time I can with him.

No comments:

Steven Has The Chicken Pox

Steven Has The Chicken Pox
3/12/2008

Always Holding Hands

Always Holding Hands

Another Broken Bone In The Family

Another Broken Bone In The Family
12/11/07

Larsen Family 10/01/07

Larsen Family 10/01/07
Monterey Bay, California

A Day At The Beach 9/22/2007

A Day At The Beach 9/22/2007
Pacifica, CA

Mike and Sarah

Mike and Sarah
Monterey Bay, CA 10/2007

Million $ Hardware; 19 screws, 2 plates, 1 washer and 1 wire

Million $ Hardware; 19 screws, 2 plates, 1 washer and 1 wire
All of the above are from Mike's right elbow.

The Man of Steal is Back!

The Man of Steal is Back!

Mike's New Break

Mike's New Break
10/24/07

Mike & I @ Girls Camp

Mike & I @ Girls Camp
July 20th, 2007